It takes longer to view a Livestream in Europe around 1 to 2 minutes

Hello,

We have some troubles related to the delay time when connecting to a Livestream, please see the examples below (we’re using iOS & Android applications for this example):

In Vietnam: it takes around 10 to 15 seconds to start a Livestream (or view a Livestream), sometimes it’s faster, sometimes it’s longer and up to 45 - 60 seconds to be in a Livestream

In France: it takes around 1 - 2 minutes to start a Livestream (or view a Livestream).

So I have some questions as below:

1. Where’s the Sandbox’s server location?
  2. Is there any difference for the users around the world when connecting to the same Livestream?
  3. Is there any limit related to the Proxy, Bandwidth, or anything else that slows down the connection to api.video?
  4. Is there any difference between Sandbox & the Production server ? is it improve the delay time if we choose to use the Production server?

Thanks for your help,
Dai

Dai,

Answers to your Qs:

1. France and Canada
  2. ideally no, but there will be some latency due to distance from the encoding server (if encoding in France, French viewers will have less latency than USA or VN.)
  3. there is nothing on our end blocking the video in (we can take up to 4K video and livestream it).
  4. Sandbox and prod use the same infra.

I think what you are saying is that it from the time you start streaming, it is taking time before you see the video on the link, and before then, you see a message like this:

It is expected that there will be a slight delay before the video broadcast is visible - several segments must reach the server, be encoded and sent to the receiver. I typically see 10-15 seconds for startup (and occasionally a bit longer) - and I am in the UK.

Questions for you:

Stream location: Are you watching the stream in the same location (this should not make a large difference, but I am curious). Our infrastructure team says that streams coming from Vietnam are most likely encoded in France.

Are you seeing the 1-2 minutes startup on all your streams in France?

Doug

Hello Doug,

Many thanks for your reply,

Stream location: Are you watching the stream in the same location (this should not make a large difference, but I am curious). Our infrastructure team says that streams coming from Vietnam are most likely encoded in France.

My answer to the question:

In fact, we have 2 teams that are building the Livestream application on iOS & Android, one in Vietnam and the other in France.

The problem is that the team in Vietnam (both Streamer & Viewer) just take around 20 seconds to get back to the Livestream, but for the team in France it may take around 1-2 minutes

Are you seeing the 1-2 minutes startup on all your streams in France?

Yes, almost the time. Is there any chance that we have a lot of users using Sandbox env at the same time?