video-player-sdk::setCurrentTime function is imprecise

Hello.
I am building a web video editor allowing users to trim their videos.
Users have a custom player controls timeline (controls: false on the embedded player), where they can either navigate in the video or trim/cut the video.

When a user drags the timeline cursor, I call setCurrentTime() passing it a precise timestamp (5 decimals Float) calculated on the timeline cursor position.

But when the setCurrentTime() promise is resolved, the cursor always moves a little, so the user cannot chose a specific timestamp to trim his video, as it is reset by the function.

Would there be anything I could do to prevent this and be as precise as I would like to? (down to tenth of a second at least)

Thank you!

Iā€™m joining a screenshot of the feature (in development) right after I dragged the begin trim handle. The blue horizontal line is the timeline cursor, and I would like it to be precisely positioned on the left side of the blue inner timeline, and the player to be precisely set at the timestamp represented by the cursorā€™s position on the timeline.

Hello Paul!

Your project sounds great, weā€™ll be happy to help you make it happen!

I tried to reproduce the problem you are talking about but I didnā€™t succeed.

I created this example page: Player timeline slider - JSFiddle - Code Playground . Itā€™s pretty basic, but in idea I think itā€™s similar to what you describe.

Do you see anything different in your way of doing things that could explain the problem?

Olivier

1 Like

Hello Olivier.
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks a lot for your fiddle, it helped me find the origin of the imprecision in my feature.
It was my fault as I had some function to round at 1 decimal the playerā€™s current timeā€¦ I feel completely silly.

Sorry for the useless ticket and thank you very much!

No problem Paul!

Glad your problem is solved :slight_smile:

Olivier

1 Like