What’s the difference between Private and Public vídeos?

Hello, thank you for the amazing API. I never implemented an API so easy in my whole career.

I’m using the SDK PHP and I want to understand more the difference between private (setPrivate(id)) and public (setPublic(id)) videos on your platform.

Best regards,
Renato Gonçalves

2 Likes

Hi Renato,

Thanks for this comment. It really means a lot to us! Feedback from our users are extremely important, it helps us building a better API.
To answer your question, private video gives access to only specific audience, meaning the video endpoint won’t be public. You can post a private video directly when posting your video by adding it to your body.
Private videos cannot be shared. Each time someone wants to watch a private video, a token is generated. As soon as this token is consumed, the video cannot be shared or watched on another web page or website without generating a new token.
On the contrary public videos can be watched by anyone.

Please don’t hesitate to share any tips with the community or give us suggestion to improve the web-service!
Have a great day!

I opened a private link from my sandbox, played the video, and refreshed the page. The video still played. That’s not the expected behavior, or is it in sandbox mode?

Hi MiLeung!

Welcome to our community! We appreciate your taking an active role, it’s helping us to build a great product!

Regarding your question, in both modes the video permission is tied to a single browser session. As long as you are in the original browser window and do not clear cookies you can watch the video.

You can test the privacy of a video by trying to open the link in a new browser window.

Do you have a reason that you would not want this behavior? Let me know.

Yitzi